Movement Generation is seeking candidates for a Finance Director (20-30 hours/week depending on experience/skills) to help us set up and run the systems for our newly formed 501c3.
Ideal candidates will have experience with bookkeeping, budgeting/finance, 501c3 compliance, Human Resources, and working on teams. Other skills/experiences also considered. Great opportunity to be part of a democratic workplace in a vibrant organization working for ecological justice and a just transition.
See job description below for more details (or download PDF here)!
Applications due May 5 (or until position is filled). Please email resume and cover letter in pdf form to firstname.lastname@example.org
(If you are a firm, please email your proposal and rates.)
Movement Generation Justice & Ecology Project
Location: SF East Bay area, CA, USA (Currently working remotely with no travel until COVID restrictions are lifted)
Time Commitment: Part-time salaried position (20-30 hours per week depending on qualifications to fulfill duties)
Application deadline: May 5, 2021 or until position is filled. (Ideal start date June 1.)
Movement Generation is looking for strong candidates to fill a new position to provide bookkeeping, fiscal management, HR, 501c3 compliance, and administrative support for the organization, as our needs and systems grow more complex.
MG is a worker-collective with 10 collective members. This position will be a staff position rather than collective-track. The ideal candidate will have participated in non- hierarchical organizations and/or have some experience with workplace democracy. The candidate will have a chance to learn about Just Transition, climate justice, and ecological justice through exposure to the work that MG does.
MG is launching our own 501c3 on July 1, 2021 with a strong track record and solid base of financial support. As a small organization with a strong Admin Team, this position combines the hands on role of bookkeeper with the strategic leadership role of a finance and administrative manager. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, adaptive and collaborative. The ideal candidate will have previous experience in nonprofit management in the scale of $1M- $5Million dollar budget and excitement about launching a 501c3 as well as running the fiscal operations day-to-day.
About MG: Movement Generation Justice & Ecology Project (MG) is a political project rooted in Huichin – Chochenyo Ohlone lands of the East Bay with relationships that extend across the country. MG is rooted in vibrant social movements led by low-income communities and communities of color committed to a Just Transition away from profit and pollution and towards healthy, resilient, and life-affirming local economies. Our work over the last thirteen years has been varied, including: holding our signature annual Justice and Ecology Retreats; publishing our Just Transition zine; launching Climate Workers; co-founding the Climate Justice Alliance; hosting Make It Fresh eco education and spoken word workshops; co-producing our comedic web series, The North Pole; co-convening the Black Land and Liberation project; offering Earth Skills trainings; housing the Healing Clinic Collective in its early years; supporting movements to divest from the extractive economy and Reinvest in Our Power; co-founding the Reclaim Our Power Utility Justice Campaign and much more!
This position is housed within and reports to the Admin Team. The position will have one staff supervisor to meet with regularly to set workplan, troubleshoot, provide support, and provide regular evaluation space.
Bookkeeping & Finance
- Review and enter weekly revenue and expense batches in accordance with GAAP. Ensure appropriate internal controls for fiscal duties.
- Process bills and staff reimbursements, and prepare payments by checks, wires, and credit cards. Coordinate appropriate approvals and signatures.
- Process timely vendor payments using Bill.com and/or other similar systems
- Track accounts receivable in Quickbooks and make revenue entries for individual donations, institutional funders, and fee-for-service payments.
- Coordinate with Fundraising Team to ensure that donation records are tracked in Powerbase and reconciled regularly with Quickbooks.
- With the fundraising team, ensure appropriate use of restricted funds, and accurate and timely accounting for the release of restricted funds
- Prepare monthly P/L, quarterly reports including budget to actuals, and annual reports as needed for staff, board, and funders.
- Communicate with outside accountant and carry out requested tasks to close books at month end, calendar year end items, and close fiscal year.
- Ensure appropriate documentation is prepared and maintained to support grant budget development, grant reporting, annual audits, and tracking of donor deliverables.
- Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow for administration, existing programs, and proposed new initiatives.
- Send timely acknowledgments to donors, in coordination with Fundraising team.
- Coordinate all audit activities and ensure timely federal, state and other tax filings.
Lead and Manage HR, Legal and 501c3 Compliance
- Oversee relationships with HR contractors, auditor, accountant, insurance brokers, and other vendors to administer payroll, benefits, leaves, and insurance policies.
- When needed, do research and make recommendations to procure insurance or other services. Ensure that insurance and HR contracts are kept up-to-date.
- Coordinate the administrative work of integrating new hires into the organization
- Support in the updating and improvement of all employee policies to ensure alignment between organizational values and legal compliance.
- Attend Admin Team meetings and collective-wide meetings as required to understand the work of the organization, develop strong relationships with staff, and identify upcoming operations needs.
- Update and maintain organizational and legal records and ensure 501c3 compliance.
Planning and Communication with Staff & Board
- Support monthly financial reporting for Collective, Board, and funders.
- Work with fundraising team and collective to implement systems for gift processing, expense tracking, donation tracking, A/P and A/R, banking relationships, and cashflow management.
- With Admin Team, make presentations and design materials to educate staff on financial procedures, HR benefits, and other processes as needed to support smooth organizational function.
- Help identify systems gaps and work with outside accountant and staff to develop new procedures as needed.
- Support PPP Loan and/or credit line oversight as needed.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of formal education, paid work experience, unpaid/volunteer experience, and life experience will be considered to meet the following:
- 3-5 years of experience in non-profit operations including many of the following: HR, insurance and legal compliance, budget, financial reporting, bookkeeping.
- Demonstrated experience in building internal systems which are transparent, efficient, and accountable. Ability and desire to communicate with and educate staff on these systems, HR benefit options, etc. in a proactive way.
- Strong understanding of and experience with implementing HR and employee policies from a legal and administrative perspective
- Understanding of and commitment to regenerative economy values, such as racial, economic, and ecological justice; democratic governance; and systems change.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Quickbooks, Powerbase CRM.
- Strong time management skills, self-motivated, flexible with accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience and ability to work in a remote environment, including experience with remote communication tools (Zoom, Slack, etc)
- Willing to learn from mistakes, receive feedback, and give feedback to others.
- Commitment to building a culture of mutual accountability, liberation, and respect.
- Enjoy a small organization atmosphere with close collaboration and meaningful relationships
- Share the values of the organization: integrity, feminisms, wellbeing, justice, courage, and mindful engagement
- Work collaboratively and respectfully with multiple stakeholders including MG staff, partners, donors, board members, vendors, and consultants.
Job Specifics & Work Environment: During shelter-in-place, staff are working from home. This position will require some work away from home to check mail, conduct banking, secure signatures and other transactions either with other collective members or with other entities. During shelter-in-place, MG adheres to CDC guidelines regarding wearing masks, social distancing, and meeting outside rather than inside.
Once shelter-in-place orders are lifted for Alameda County, we anticipate that some work can continue to be done from home but due to the nature of the position, at least 1-2 days/week will need to be in the office.
Compensation: $75,000/year FTE (adjusted for the % time agreed upon hire depending on duties) salary plus generous paid time off, health, dental, vision benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and cover letter in pdf form to email@example.com
(If you are a firm, please email your proposal and rates.)
Movement Generation is an equal opportunity employer. Hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination and all other employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, national origin, citizenship/immigration status, veteran status or any other protected status.