Update 4/1/21: The position has been filled!
Movement Generation is seeking candidates for an IT Manager (10-15 hours/week) to strengthen and maintain MG’s IT systems, improve staff utilization and adoption of tech tools, and collaboratively shape the future of technology and data use at our organization.
Ideal candidates will have experience with IT management, IT support in a nonprofit, data management, digital security, and working on teams. Other skills/experiences also considered. Great opportunity to be part of a democratic workplace in a vibrant organization working for ecological justice and a just transition.
See job description below for more details (or download PDF here)!
Applications due Feb 22, 2022 (or until position is filled). Please email resume and cover letter in pdf form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Movement Generation Justice & Ecology Project
Location: SF East Bay area, CA, USA (MG staff is currently working remotely, though this position would require some local travel to service laptops and hardware in person. MG has strong COVID-19 protocols for any in person work.)
Time Commitment: This is a non-exempt position, 10-15 hours per week.
Application deadline: Feb 22, 2022 or until position is filled. (Ideal start date Feb 1.)
The IT Manager leverages their technical expertise, communication acumen, and leadership skills to strengthen and maintain MG’s information and technology systems, improve staff utilization and adoption of tech tools, and collaboratively shape the future of technology and data use at our organization. The IT Manager is part of the MG Home Economics team and will be supervised by the Home Ec Team Lead.
We understand that to achieve our bold vision of a Just Transition we need information and technology systems that are efficient, values aligned, and secure. Through these systems, we not only operate the basic daily functions of our organization, but we also carry out MG’s core programmatic work. The IT Manager will be responsible for overseeing MG’s information and technology systems and maintaining the health and functionality of staff computers and organizational hardware. MG has been in a 5+ year commitment to digital security practices. The IT Manager will also collaborate with the Home Economics team and the rest of staff to continuously maintain and improve our systems of building a culture and practice of digital security as part of our work towards the liberation of land, labor, and life.
Movement Generation Justice & Ecology Project (MG) is a political project rooted in Huichin – Chochenyo Ohlone lands of the East Bay with relationships that extend across the country. MG is rooted in vibrant social movements led by low-income communities and communities of color committed to a Just Transition away from profit and pollution and towards healthy, resilient, and life-affirming local economies. Our work over the last thirteen years has been varied, including: holding our signature annual Justice and Ecology Retreats; publishing our Just Transition zine; launching Climate Workers; co-founding the Climate Justice Alliance; hosting Make It Fresh eco education and spoken word workshops; co-producing our comedic web series, The North Pole; co-convening the Black Land and Liberation project; offering Earth Skills trainings; housing the Healing Clinic Collective in its early years; supporting movements to divest from the extractive economy and Reinvest in Our Power; co-founding the Reclaim Our Power Utility Justice Campaign and much more!
IT SUPPORT (60%)
- Coordinate provision of IT support, services, and maintenance to all staff – including building a system of regular IT maintenance as well as a system for rapid response / emergency IT support needs
- Build and maintain a system to track and maintain staff computers, including managing operating system upgrades, equipping and onboarding computers for new hires, and offboarding computers and equipment for exiting staff
- Provide IT support and training, as needed, to support staff-wide integration of MG’s internal tech systems – Nextcloud file sharing, Powerbase CRM, Slack, Zoom, etc.
- Create and manage a system for ticketing and responding to requests from staff for IT support, including emergency requests
MANAGE INTERNAL IT SYSTEMS (20%)
- Develop and implement systems of storage, maintenance, and upgrades to our technology hardware and staff computers
- Accurately plan and budget for emergent and planned tech needs
- Coordinate data management and manage internal tech platforms (like Slack, Nextcloud file sharing, Zoom accounts, and email management) with MG’s staff and teams to ensure they are functioning and effectively serving programs and operations
- Manage functionality and oversee regular strategic review of Powerbase CRM implementation in conjunction with key staff.
- Remain up to date with advances in technology and industry best practices.
- Evaulate digital security risks over time, and support ongoing implementation and improvement of digital security practices
MANAGE IT CONTRACTS (15%)
- Assist in building relationships with vendors, sourcing appropriate technology for our needs, and creating cost-efficient contracts
- Coordinate, manage contracts, and submit payment requests for our IT and tech contractors
- Periodically attend and participate in staff meetings, as needed
- Weekly check in/supervision meetings with Home Economics Team Lead
- Other duties as assigned
Currently does not supervise other employees.
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
Standard days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Daily schedule is flexible within the proximity of this time frame, within the scope of hours for this position, and will be decided in consultation with the supervisor. There will be a level of expected availability of the person in this position to be able to respond to emergency IT support needs during work hours.
LOCATION / TRAVEL
Location in the Bay Area (California) is required. MG staff is still currently working remotely, due to pandemic conditions. This role would require some travel locally to the MG office in Berkeley, and to periodically meet up with staff members in Oakland/Berkeley, to manage hardware and laptops in person if needed. We have strong COVID-19 protocols we require all staff members to adhere to if doing any work in person.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERTISE
- Three or more years of experience in IT services, IT operations, data management, or related roles
- Extensive experience and familarity with Apple devices (MacOS, iOS)
- Experience leading and managing IT projects and rolling out IT infrastructures across various technologies
- Excellent working knowledge of computer systems, security, network and systems administration, databases and data storage systems, and phone systems
- Firm grasp on IT infrastructure and operational best practices, specifically for non-profits with 10-11 staff members
- Understanding of digital security from a social movement perspective
- Software proficiency (required): Microsoft Office, Slack, Zoom, Google Workspace, basic backend email management
- Software proficiency (preferred): Nextcloud, OnlyOffice, Powerbase
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written;
- Ability to switch between detail-intensive data processing and relationship-based interaction with ease
- Excellent project management skills and strong ability to prioritize
- Dedication to social justice
- An orientation towards learning and development; willing to learn from mistakes, receive feedback, and give feedback to others
HOURS AND COMPENSATION:
This is a non-exempt position, 10-15 hours per week at $50 / hour.
DEADLINE TO APPLY:
February 22, 2022
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your resume and cover letter in pdf form to email@example.com.
Movement Generation is an equal opportunity employer. Hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination and all other employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, national origin, citizenship/immigration status, veteran status or any other protected status.