Thank to all of you who attended “Picket Lines & Produce Stands: Worker Power in Food Justice” on April 1st! Over 150 people joined us for a delicious meal and powerful conversation with workers across the food chain about bringing our food system into right relationship with people and planet. Check out these
One of the most powerful moments of the evening came when urban farmers thanked fast food workers for helping defend their farmland from bulldozing, and pledged to stand with the workers as they go on strike this Wednesday. That beautiful solidarity sparked a daylong series of actions for worker rights and food justice this Wednesday, April 15th, as we support two campaigns:
1. The Fight for $15: Fast food workers are leading what will be one of the largest low-wage worker protests in modern U.S. history on April 15th as they demand $15 and a union: http://fightfor15.org.
2. Defend the Gill Tract, Boycott Sprouts: Farmers who liberated some of the last historic farmland in the East Bay to grow food for the people are defending that against bulldozing by the corporate grocery supermarket and fake “farmers market,” Sprouts: http://www.boycottsprouts.com
Here is the Action Schedule:
* 8 AM: “Dine-in” at McDonald’s for the Fight for $15 campaign! We’ll meet at a McDonalds in Oakland (RSVP to get the location) and serve a healthy & delicious breakfast prepared by, for and of the people! Start your day with a fun-filled direct action to support fast food workers’ campaign for justice! More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/449378795231349.
After the 8am action, we’ll have a bus available for you to head to the next action:
* 12 PM: Shut down the grand opening of Sprouts Farmers Market in San Rafael! In support of the Gill Tract and to call out Sprouts’ low pay, worker and health violations, and union-busting associations.
* 3 PM: Fight for $15 Rally and March! We’ll be back in Berkeley in time to form a climate and food justice contingent among thousands more gathered for the Fight for $15 rally and march, starting at Telegraph & Bancroft, UC Berkeley. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/749305921855271.
Join one action…or join them all! Let us know if you want to ride on the all-day action bus.
For more information, to RSVP, or to volunteer, contact Brooke Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 510-846-0766.