It’s that time again… MG is currently accepting applications for our 2017 Justice and Ecology Retreat.
Once a year, MG hosts a vision and strategy retreat that brings together a diverse cohort of organizers and activists to:
- Explore the depths and connections of the current ecological, economic, and social crises and
- Discuss, study and design key strategic movement interventions that will inspire a Just Transition towards healthy, life-affirming economies.
This year, our 5-day Strategy Retreat will take place Wednesday, October 11 – Sunday, October 15, 2017 in Occidental, CA. If you would like to apply, please fill out the following online application. Our retreats are designed for, and prioritize the participation of, organizers and activists working on racial, economic, and environmental justice issues in working class communities, communities of color, and Indigenous communities.
The application deadline is: July 15, 2017.
Some other key info about the retreat:
- This program runs for the 5 full days. We will only have the capacity for about 25 participants in this retreat, and we expect to receive applications from more people than we can accommodate. Because of this, we expect a strong commitment from applicants to attend the retreat in its entirety. Strong preference will be given to individuals who are able to attend the whole retreat. Once again, the retreat dates are: Wednesday October 11th – Sunday October 15th. The retreat takes place at the Occidental Arts & Ecology Center.
- Unfortunately, Occidental Arts and Ecology Center is currently not accessible to some folks with special mobility needs. In particular the space does not currently accommodate people who use wheelchairs or other walking aides. We have access to a motorized cart that we can use to take people to different parts of the 80 acres who may not be able to walk on up-and-down dirt paths. OAEC is currently constructing some new facilities on the site that, in the coming year, will make the center more accessible. If you think this may pose challenges for your participation, please reach out to us so we can discuss if it is possible to make accommodations.
- Please let us know if you would like to share this application with a comrade. We like to do a blend of targeted outreach, as well as relying on folks we trust to suggest people.
- Participant Fee sliding scale is $300 – $900 per participant. The participation fee includes lodging at Occidental Arts & Ecology Center from Wednesday through Saturday nights, all meals during the retreat, and all retreat materials. The fee does not include travel to and from the San Francisco Bay Area. The actual cost of hosting this retreat is higher than $900 per participant: MG covers a significant portion of the retreat costs out of our general operating budget. We do not consider the sliding-scale when making our decisions about participants and we can discuss payment plans, if needed.
- Applicants will receive acceptance notices by July 31st. If you are accepted, registration fees will be due by August 15th. If fees are not received by August 15th, corresponding slots will be offered to individuals on the waiting list.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.